Carbon Monoxide Recommendations
The Indiana State Police have released a series of tips to help residents avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide (CO2) is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas that does not cause irritation to the eyes or throat. Often victims don’t realize they are inhaling toxic gas until they become ill. More than 500 people die annually from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure:
- Flu-like symptoms with no fever
- Nausea, vomiting
- Irregular breathing
- Fatigue and weakness
- Feeling better after leaving a particular structure but feeling ill upon return
Safety measures to prevent exposure:
- Purchase a carbon monoxide detector for every level of your home. Don’t ignore the alarm when it is activated. Open the windows and leave the structure until the carbon monoxide has been located.
- Have your traditional heating system inspected annually.
- Never warm up a motor vehicle in a garage even if a door is open; have your vehicle checked for exhaust leaks.
- Be sure all fuel burning sources like has and wood stoves, fire places and portable heaters are working properly and their flues or chimneys have been inspected.
- Never burn charcoal indoors.
- Never use a gas range or oven for home heating.
- Never use gasoline or diesel powered electric generators in an enclosed area.
- If the structure you are in is air tight and lacks ventilation, crack open a window for fresh air.
Excerpted from IndyStar.com