Header Flourish 2

Certificates of Insurance: What and Why?

It is increasingly common for other organizations and/or people (third parties) to request some evidence that the fraternity/sorority or chapter has insurance coverage in place. The form that confirms that coverage is, in fact, in place is called a Certificate of Insurance, and it shows your limits and coverages.

We will need the following information from you in order to provide you with a Certificate of Liability Insurance:

  • Fraternity/Sorority and Greek Chapter Name
  • Date of the event
  • Type of event (i.e. Philanthropic, Social, Chapter-Oriented, etc.)
  • Whether or not alcohol is being served (if alcohol is being served, who is serving the alcohol?)
  • Name and address of the venue and/or individual requesting the Certificate of Insurance
  • The contact information and preferred contact method (i.e. e-mail, fax, etc.) for the individual to whom the Certificate should be sent
  • If the venue is requesting Additional Insured status, please forward the contract immediately to us for review.

Please provide all of the above information and any questions you may have by completing the Certificate/Event Request Form.

In addition, it is also very common for you to receive a request from a lendor requesting that you provide evidence that you carry property insurance. Banks often require you to list them as a Mortgagee or Loss Payee on your policy for property for which they provide a loan. Companies from whom you lease equipment, such as a copy machine vendor, also often request proof that you are carrying insurance to cover any damage to their equipment. This document is referred to as the Property Certificate of Insurance.

In order to process your Property Certificate request, please provide us with the following information by completing the Non-Event Specific Certificate of Insurance Form:

  • Name and address of the entity/individual requesting the Property Certificate
  • Any written documentation, such as a contract, that stipulates your obligation to provide the entity/individual with proof of insurance
  • Loan number, if applicable
  • E-mail address of the entity/individual requesting the Property Certificate