Follow Bylaws To Protect Your Nonprofit From Board Litigation Checklist
Review and implement the following steps as needed:
- Consult an attorney to be sure your bylaws are thorough and compliant with state and federal law.
- Avoid including details that change, like fundraising or marketing guidelines.
- Be sure to tailor your bylaws to the purpose and size of your organization.
- Make certain you appropriately use the words “shall” (required) and “may” (optional).
- Review your bylaws every year to be sure they continue to be applicable and express the nonprofit’s mission. This is particularly important as a nonprofit grows and adds new programs.
- Make your bylaws available to the public to strengthen your nonprofit’s accountability with donors, supporters, and beneficiaries.